A few random pages from the manuscript I’m revising.

For some strange reason, my husband has been bringing home a lot of red pens lately, and shedding them throughout the house.  I can almost mark the trail he takes through the rooms by following what he drops.  Considering how many pockets an Army uniform has, that can be quite a lot.

Normally, I do my revisions using ordinary black ink.  This time, with all of those red pens lying around, I decided to use them.  The effect is startling to say the least.  Makes all of the cutting I’ve done to this manuscript blatantly obvious.  It’s one thing to know that I’ve cut 3000 from the first 70 pages, it’s another thing entirely to see all those brilliant scarlet lines slashing through the words.

It’s eliminating redundancy and a  lot of writing in the passive voice.  This particular manuscript was originally a NaNoWriMo project, so there are many unnecessary words.  Something about trying to cram out 50,000 words in 30 days really bloats my language.

Surprisingly, these cuts haven’t been nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I’ve even cut quite a few lines that I used to be very proud of, but they just were not moving the story forward.  There’s still a long way to go before I feel comfortable showing this manuscript to anyone, however.

That’s why the photo is blurry 😉

 

 

Advertisements